Bernard heard the village clock chime the quarter hour, and he ducked his head out from behind the heavy striped canvas of his market stall. Two minutes later, he watched her turn the corner and make her way along the street. Today she wore a delicate gray ermine-fur cape draped over her shoulders against the cold which was only a few weeks away, coupled with a blouse surely made of silk, and a heavy, dark wool skirt which bobbed around her knees as she walked.
Bernard fussed with his grimy cap in his hands as he watched her out of the corner of his eye. He didn’t stop watching until she was two steps away, and then he looked up to try to catch a full glimpse of her face. Her head rose, and her green gaze met his watery blue one. He would have stumbled had he been moving, so he praised the heavens he was standing still. She lowered her bare head and her gaze for a moment in greeting, saying softly, “Good afternoon,” without pausing or stopping.
“G-Good day to you, mum,” he said to her back. She turned her head and nodded back, smiling slightly before heading on. Bernard cursed himself for stammering, but took a deep breath, capturing the powder-blue scent of her perfume in the air. Her small smile had been enough to make the clouds part and the sun light his weathered face, he was sure of it.
Once, many months back, she had lost an earring as she made her way along, and he had retrieved it, turning it in his hand. He guessed it was probably worth a year’s salary to him, that shiny, luminescent pearl earring, but he hollered to Hal to watch his stall and went shuffling down the street after her, hoping not to lose her in the crowd. He saw her go up steps and into a building before he could catch her, and he wheezed and panted as he stood there, catching his breath before approaching the door.
A butler answered his knock, and Bernard breathed, “The lady, who just arrived,” to which the butler responded (rather indiscreetly, Bernard would think later), “Duchess Droughton.” Bernard didn’t know her name, so he simply nodded, said she had dropped the earring, and put it into the butler’s hand. The older gentleman eyed it, agreed to return it, expressed thanks on her behalf for its return, and closed the door.
Now, on the street, he breathed, “Duchess” and felt the little bit of awe that she inspired in him.
Featured shoes: Baiastice North Pumps in Suede Gray by Sissy Pessoa
- Head: Catwa Annie by Catwa Clip
- Skin: YS&YS Kate by Monicuzza Babenco
- Body: Maitreya Lara by Onyx LeShelle
- Eyes: Mayfly Luminous in Deep Paris Shadow by Arkesh Baral
- Hair: Clawtooth: True Betty in Coffee by Bubbles Clawtooth ❤
- Dress: Zenith Vintage 1940s dress RARE for Maitreya by Miffyhoi Rosca (gacha item)
- COCO FurShouldrCape in Grey by Cocoro Lemon
- Earrings: Yummy Pearl Earring by Polyester Partridge
- Hands & Feet: Slink Avatar Enhancement Hands in Casual and Bag; High Feet by Siddean Munro
- Manicure: Hello Dave in Matte Nudes by Maia Gasparini
- Hosiery: Erratic Valentina Stockings in Nude from Erratic Rain
- Taken at Flux Sur Mer sim
- Left pic pose oOo Studio Travelogue two by me!
- Right pic pose custom by me
Thanks for the location tip, Harper! The following is a raw shot at the location.