The knock on the door made her jump.
“Crimson,” came Margie’s voice in a near whisper from behind the door, “it’s about Randolph.”
Xi Xi sighed and rubbed her thigh where the prosthesis met her flesh. Randolph had left only fifteen minutes ago, but apparently had not gotten far.
“What is it?” she asked, and Margie’s blond ponytail swung around the door before her pinched little face was visible. Her mouth hung open as she looked in. Margie wasn’t usually privy to seeing Xi Xi as Crimson Darling, her work persona, especially seeing her so quickly after a customer had left. Her watery brown eyes were as big as saucers. They scanned the worktable, the sitting room, and seemed to take note of the made bed in the distance. Margie probably thought Xi Xi slept with her clients, but she wasn’t about to correct that thinking. Skills like hers were best hawked by the people who knew her worth was more than merely physical.
Xi Xi turned her head and pushed her hair out of her right eye, staring at Margie. “Yessss?” she prompted, irritated by the interruption.
“Randolph says he would like to come up and talk to you for a while, if you ‘are amenable,'” Margie said, imitating Randolph’s accent.
She really didn’t want to see him again, even though he was partial to telling her things that were of interest to her. Randolph worked for the Illirium, an underground network of information runners she shouldn’t have known about. But he paid her well to keep his secrets, and she knew he often tested her by telling her things that no one else knew, just to see if the word got around. Of course it hadn’t. Xi Xi was legendary for the length she would go to keep her secrets. The dull ache in her leg reminded her of just how far that was. Those who wanted their secrets kept paid her well to keep them. Since that money came while she learned things, it was a trade she was often willing to make.
“Tell him I have 30 minutes, have him pay Money before he comes up, and prompt him away when time is past.” Margie nodded and ducked back out of the doorway. Xi Xi tightened the strap that held her leg to her thigh, then checked the movement of her foot via the electrodes, to make sure nothing had been disconnected while she had prepared to remove it. She could only hope that Randolph had something interesting to say tonight. If he didn’t, it was going to be a very long half hour indeed.
Featured shoes: [ContraptioN] Classic Leg Prosthesis in Gunmetal by Faust Steamer
- Head: Catwa Annie by Catwa Clip
- Eyes: Mayfly Luminous in Palest True Grey by Arkesh Baral
- Skin: L’Etre Xiaoyu in Buttermilk by Dam1710
- Body: Maitreya Lara by Onyx LeShelle
- Hair: LeLutka Dakota from the Range set by Thora Charron
- Lingerie: Dead Dollz Victoria in Brown by Kiddo Oh
- Watch: Mandala Billionaire Genius in Brown by Kikunosuke Eel
- Hands and Feet: Slink Avatar Enhancement Hands in Casual and Mouse; Flat Feet by Siddean Munro
- Manicure: Hello Dave in Nude Mattes by Maia Gasparini
- NOMAD // Microscope by Piraiyah Novikov (gacha item)
- [TheForge] Lampv1.2 by wiredexperiment (Premium from Epiphany)
- NOMAD // Armillary by Piraiyah Novikov
- -David Heather-Industrio Book Stack2 by Gianni Broda
- Fashionably Dead Cat – 02 Sleeping Curled by Toast Bard (gacha item)
- Apple Fall Crumpled Newspaper by warehousefifteendesigns
- +Half-Deer+ Great Horned Owl – Brown (Forward) by Halogen Magic
- Paper Moon Qitou – Paper Parasol – Peach/Lotus by Sohma Dix (gacha item)
- [ContraptioN] Decor: Mark’s Lamp by Faust Steamer
- junk. bartlet wheel table. worn. by Tab Tatham
- junk. redfern chair. mustard. by Tab Tatham
- Bazar Paris – Wine set by Ria Bazar
- Zigana . holiday spirit . books by Nalena Fairey (gacha item)
- Ex Machina Bookcase Ending Element by Hatris Panacek
- Ex Machina Bookcase Element B by Hatris Panacek
- junk. cage stool. by Tab Tatham
- POST: Damaged Gorodetsky Nouveau Rug by Van Auster
- Ex Machina Prof Baltazar Lab Table by Hatris Panacek
- Ex Machina Vulcano 2 by Hatris Panacek
- Ex Machina Zeitgeist Clocktower Skybox by Hatris Panacek