She couldn’t ever actually leave. They had given her a choice, which she thought was generous: she could choose her eternal resting place, and she had chosen here, beneath the willow tree atop Mullinvale Hill.
Matthias had promised to meet her there again that day. He had promised to kiss her again beneath the branches of the tree. He had vowed to keep her warm and close, and Violet had climbed that hill on a clear day in January, looking forward to his kisses and his warmth. The snow was sparkling under the sun’s rays as she laid her tracks from the main road, her boots keeping her feet dry, and her gloves and hat preserving every bit of warmth.
He had not come that day.
In death, she couldn’t feel the cold anymore. Not from the weather, not from the stone block where she had stood for the last 22 years, watching the world change around her so very slowly. She had never believed in the afterlife, even though he had. She would have loved his look of satisfaction if she could tell him she was wrong, but it didn’t matter now.
On that one day every year, he came to the hill. He stood atop the snow for the whole day. She had tried to gesture, once, to speak, but his gaze didn’t change; he couldn’t see her move, couldn’t see or hear her speak, and she had given up on the effort many years ago.
That one day every year, today, he was with her, and she could gaze upon his beautiful face. She fell in love with him every time exactly as she had the very first time she saw him. “Love at first sight,” she had cooed once, and he had said it was exactly the same for him. She would etch his image into the gallery in her mind and she would use that image to sustain her when he wasn’t really there anymore.
She could feel his gaze on her, and she gave him back her warm tears. She didn’t think he could see them.
Featured shoes: fri.day Aisling Wraps in Coal by Darling Monday
- Head: Catwa Annie by Catwa Clip
- Eyes: Mayfly Luminous in Lake by Arkesh Baral
- Skin: DeeTaleZ Abigail in Celtic by Steffi Villota
- Body: Maitreya Lara by Onyx LeShelle
- Makeup: DeeTaleZ Makeup Sad by Steffi Villota
- Hair: Little Bones Born to Die from The Redhead pack by Nova Faerye
- Dress: Vale Koer SkinClinging Dress in Black by Bob
- Jewelry: Yummy Crystal Ribbon set in Silver & Black by Polyester Partridge
- Hands and Feet: Slink Avatar Enhancement Hands in Casual; High Feet by Siddean Munro
- Manicure: Hello Dave in Nude Mattes by Maia Gasparini
- 3D Trees Winter Weeping Willow by Nadine Reverie
- Studio Skye Land Forms and Snow texture by Alex Bader
- We’re CLOSED rock snowy by Mandingo Quan
- New Trails Snowy Long Reedgrass by Vitrail Illios
- Ariskea Hybrid Roses in Red by Diaxm
- oOo Studio gravesite 5 by Olaenka Chesnokov (gacha item)
- oOo Studio avenger_one pose by Olaenka Chesnokov (hers)
- His pose is custom